By William Lutz
Bill Powers should be on his knees giving thanks that he works for two people as patient as Rick Perry and Gene Powell. Compare that with how Democratic Gov. John Kitzhaber (Oregon) dealt with another UT administrator — former liberal arts dean Richard Lariviere — who decided to get front groups to attack the governing board and generally didn’t play ball with the governor’s policies:
The full text of the governor’s statement:
November 26, 2011
“First, let me say that the situation involving the Oregon State Board of Higher Education and Dr. Richard Lariviere has nothing to do with an “ongoing difference of opinion over the future of the University of Oregon,” as Dr. Lariviere suggested in an email sent out to faculty and students last Tuesday.
My education strategy includes building a world class, innovative system of higher education that delivers better results for students and serves as an engine for our state’s economic recovery. Achieving these goals requires all of our university campuses, the Oregon University System and the State Board of Higher Education to be pulling in the same direction.
While the timing of the Board’s action on Dr. Richard Lariviere’s employment contract may come as a surprise to some, the possible decision to terminate his contract should not, given his record.
- Michael Gottfredson officially named University of Oregon president by State Board of Higher Education (oregonlive.com)
- Michael Gottfredson sole finalist for University of Oregon president (oregonlive.com)
- Californian picked to lead University of Oregon (sacbee.com)
- No. 2 at UC Irvine sole finalist to head U. of Oregon (ocregister.com)
- University of Oregon chooses Michael Gottfredson as sole finalist for president (oregonlive.com)